Types Of Planning Permission

There are four main types of planning permission

1. Outline Planning Consent

Outline planning consent is the preliminary form of consent. Land with an existing OPP means it has already been established, in principle, that a new building can be constructed. However, the type and size of dwelling, the method of construction and materials used, have yet to be approved. Outline planning permission is insufficient for you to commence your project - you must apply for full detailed consent before you start. Outline permission is valid up to five years but you have only three years to apply for Approval of Reserved Matters (Detailed Planning Consent) otherwise the entire process begins again.

2. Approval of Reserved Matters (Detailed Planning Consent)

If a site already has outline planning permission, detailed plans will have to be submitted in order to commence your project. Once approved, you have up to two years to commence the build.
Types of Planning Permission

Full Planning Permission

Full planning permission is a combination of outline and detailed permission where all the detailed information is submitted in one application. This is common where the development is contentious ie in a conservation area. This form of approval is valid for five years.

If the plot has both full consent, it is essential you check whether there are any conditions attached which may restrict the design, extent of development and construction of the new dwelling. Particularly important are the rights of neighbouring land and/or property owners, any rights of way that may exist, the rights and physical ability to connect to services outside the plot, which may be on a nearby public highway or three fields away, thereby requiring the negotiation of easements (a right or privilege to cross the land) with adjoining owners, the design limitations, which may reduce your interest in the scheme and prevent you from building 'the dream home'.

If a property has full or detailed planning permission already but you are not keen on the plans, you may make a fresh application. The existing plans will not be jeopardised with any new consent and will remain valid whether the new application is successful or not.

4. Listed Building Consent

If you are converting or doing works to a listed building or developing a plot within its curtilage, you will require Listed Building Consent. This is required in addition to planning permission (above). There is no fee.

Visit the plots etc bookshop for books on everything from buying a plot to building regulations, house plans to working with an architect, green self-build to barn conversions

© Plots Etc 2006 - 2019. All rights reserved.